“At its founding in 1888, YWCA St. Joseph began a series of programs, each designed to fit the times, but all supporting one central mission: eliminating racism and empowering girls and women. We remain one of only two YWCAs in the state of Missouri, offering practical assistance to support brighter futures of women and families in the St. Joseph area.”
A Legacy of Hope
In its earliest years, the YWCA provided housing for young ladies coming to St. Joseph in pursuit of work and education. Later on, we reached into the wider community with help during the years of the Great Depression. In the mid-1900s, the YWCA was on the forefront of efforts toward racial integration and racial justice. Those goals continue to drive us and lay a foundation for all that we do.
It’s true — what started as a group of women going door-to-door for donations in the late 19th century has grown beyond what those founders could have imagined. In recent years, the YWCA has served over 500 women a year and given over 16,000 nights of shelter to women and children in need.
If you are worried about someone knowing you have visited this site then please read the following safety information!
A browser is the program you are using to access the internet, the most common are Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and Safari. If you are not sure what browser you are using, then visit What Browser? and it will tell you. See below for how to delete your History for the aforementioned browsers.
- Internet Explorer
- Click Tools menu and select Internet Options
- In the General Options tab under the Browsing History section, tick the box that says Delete browsing history on exit.
- Then click the Delete button next to the tick box, tick all the boxes and click delete at the bottom.
- Click on the Content tab at the top, click the Settings button under Autocomplete and click the Delete AutoComplete history button.
- Google Chrome
- Click on the three grey lines in the top right corner of your window, then click History.
- Click the Clear browsing data button at the top of the screen.
- Change the option at the top to a time you think is appropriate (the beginning of time might look suspicious).
- Tick all the boxes then click the Clear browsing data button at the bottom and close the History tab.
- Mozilla Firefox
- Click on Tools and then Options.
- Click the Clear button next to Cache and Saved Form Information.
- Click on Safari in the top right corner of your screen
- Select Clear History and Website Data
- You can then change the option to a time you think is appropriate (the beginning of time might look suspicious).