On Giving Tuesday, Consider a Gift to the St. Joseph YWCA
Love it or loathe it, everyone knows about the shopping craze on Black Friday, and Cyber Monday has become the best day for snagging a good online deal. While it can be exciting to grab a few discounted gifts at the start of the holiday shopping season, save part of your funds or a few hours of your free time to donate to the YWCA of St. Joseph on Giving Tuesday.
Giving Tuesday is a movement that began via social media and has quickly reached global proportions. Across the world, people are finding that even the best shopping deal can’t match the satisfaction that comes from lending a hand, whether through a donation or some volunteer hours with an organization of their choice.
Giving Tuesday can happen on a grand scale, where your company staff, church group or school club works together at a nonprofit or collects a large donation. It can also happen on an individual level, where you volunteer to shelve a few canned goods at the local food bank or write a check to a particular group.
This Giving Tuesday, which falls on November 28, please consider donating your time or money to the YWCA of St. Joseph. Your gift supports the critical services that are offered to women and children in the community. Here are a few of the reasons why the YWCA is a great way to spend your Giving Tuesday dollars or volunteer hours:
- The YWCA USA has been at the forefront of the most critical social movements for more than 150 years.
- The YWCA of St. Joseph provides advocacy and programming in three important areas:
- Racial justice and civil rights
- Empowerment and economic advancement of women and girls
- Health and safety of women and girls
- Your donation makes an immediate impact.
- Your $1,000 donation provides shelter, meals and counseling to a woman trying to build a new life for herself and her children for a full month
- A $250 donation offers these benefits for a full week
- Any donation of $100 or more qualifies for a 50 percent State of Missouri tax credit. If you donate $500, state and federal credits and resources will total $420, meaning that your donation is only $80 out of pocket, depending on your tax bracket.
Learn more about the YWCA of St. Joseph and the various programs we offer to women and children in the community. These include the Shelter for Abused and Homeless Women and Children, Rape Crisis Program, Bliss Manor Housing Program and 24-hour crisis hotline. Your donation on Giving Tuesday directly helps the women in our community that are working to build a new and better life.