Are you planning ahead for Black Friday? Will you be one of the mad crowd, fighting for your chance to snag a deal at the big box stores before the sun comes up? Maybe you’ll sleep in so you’re full of energy to stalk all the best sales at the mall. When you’re shopping, be sure to remember the YWCA St. Joseph.
Most of the community in and around St. Joseph will be spending that weekend picking through leftover turkey, hauling the holiday decorations from the basement and debating when it’s best to start listening to Christmas music.
For others, that weekend will be just another day to navigate tough situations, like how to leave an abusive relationship, or wondering where they’ll take the kids to stay when it gets dark and colder.
On the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, join a nationwide effort to support causes that make the holidays a little brighter for everyone. Giving Tuesday is scheduled for Tuesday, November 27 this year. It offers a reminder to everyone to set aside some of their holiday dollars for important causes.
Founded in 2012 by the 92nd Street Y in New York City, Giving Tuesday inspires millions of people across the United States and across the world to give back and support causes they believe in. Over $300 million has been donated on Giving Tuesday, and it’s expected that this year could be bigger than ever.
When you donate to YWCA St. Joseph, you’re offering practical help to women and children who need assistance immediately. Consider how your dollars make an impact:
- A donation of $35 keeps a woman and her children safe for one night.
- A gift of $100 can offer professional advocacy and counseling services so a woman can see that she has options and a plan for a new start.
- A gift of $500 means a woman and her children have shelter and safety for two weeks while they decide their next steps.
- A gift of $1,000 would allow a family a full month of shelter so that they can truly rebuild their lives.
- Every donation opens a new door of hope for a woman and her children who depend on the YWCA – and every donation of $100 or more receives a 50% Missouri State Domestic Violence tax credit (whether you itemize or not).
You can help with other projects sponsored by YWCA St. Joseph also. When you’re shopping for Christmas gifts on Amazon, use Amazon Smile and choose YWCA St. Joseph to receive the donation. You can also sign up for Y Wednesday newsletters so you’re up-to-date on the projects that benefit from your donations.
Remember, too, that while monetary donations are always appreciated, they’re not the only way to participate in Giving Tuesday. Your volunteer time, no matter what your schedule or availability, is always appreciated at YWCA St. Joseph. Check out our donations page to learn more!